Air Mauritius recognises top travel partners at its Night of the Stars Awards Ceremony 2014
On Thursday, 11 December, 2014, 80 leading guests hailing from the South African travel industry, were welcomed aboard Air Mauritius ~ in recognizing and honouring, the top travel performers, over the past 12 months.
The sun went down; the stars came out:
The annual awards ceremony took place at the spectacular Munro Boutique Hotel, Houghton Estate, overlooking the urban forest of Johannesburg. Carla da Silva, outbound Air Mauritius Regional Manager, Southern Africa and Latin America, presided over the emotionally charged proceedings, as part of her final duties with the leading Indian Ocean airline, and flagship of Mauritius.
In her address to her peers, da Silva paid tribute to the dedication, commitment, professionalism, as well as the innovative approach adopted by the audience ~ in achieving the results of the past financial year.
And the winner is:
A number of award categories were presented, including:
- Top Committed Seats Performer 2014: The Holiday Factory
- Top Groups Performer 2014: Beachcomber Tours
- Best Marketing Performer 2014: Beachcomber Tours
- Top Committed Seats Performer December 2014: The Holiday Factory
- Top Performer Durban Region 2014: One Stop Travel & Tours
- Beyond Mauritius Top Performer 2014: Flight Centre
- CEO AWARD 2014: Terry Munro (for the third year, running)
- Supplier Awards: 1st Glass Slipper Communication & 2nd place: IT Evolution
10. XL TRAVEL & Sure GroupThe aviation skyline:
08. Club Travel
07. Bid Travel
06. Cullinan Outbound Tourism
05. Club Med
04. Flight Centre
03. World Leisure Holidays
02. The Holiday Factory
01. Beachcomber Tours
The aviation sector has faced myriad challenges over the past 12 months, including:
- Weak EURO/ZAR rate of exchange
- Recession and slump in demand from Europe
- Constantly managing rising costs
- Intensive competition
Total passengers carried during the quarter increased by 0.8 percent to 342,323 ~ as compared to 339,688 passengers carried during the quarter ending 30 September 2013. The Available Seat Kilometers (ASK) increased by 3.3 percent, whilst the passenger load factor dropped from 77.1 percent to 74.3 percent, when compared to the corresponding quarter of last year.
Operating revenue increased from EURO 118.4 million to EURO 124.8 million, whereas operating expenses went up by EURO 7.0 million to reach EURO 115.6 million.
Highlights for the airline, include:
- Air Mauritius celebrated its 47th Anniversary on Saturday 14 June 2014. The company, first incorporated on 14 June 1967 ~ has grown to become a leading company of Mauritius and a driving force of the Mauritian economy. It is also a stable and strategic pillar of the Mauritian tourism industry
- For 10 consecutive years (2005 ~ 2014) Air Mauritius has been named the Indian Oceans Leading Airline
- In addition, this year (2014) the airline's lounge, Amédée Maingard Lounge, was voted Indian Ocean's Leading Airline Lounge
- On 08 July 2014 ~ Air Mauritius was awarded the prestigious 4-Star professional quality rating by SKYTRAX
- It was announced that the Airbus A350-900 aircraft would be joining the Air Mauritius long haul fleet, from 2017
Says da Silva, In terms of the Revenue Budget set for South Africa, we are currently achieving our set revenue budget for the year (this is, year to date, April to October 2014.) In fact, we have exceeded last years revenue by 38 percent, and surpassed passenger numbers ~ by 29 percent.
Particularly with regards to MICE (Meeting, Incentives, Corporate and Events), revenue has increased by over 100 percent.
When one examines the sales figures and listens to the success stories shared by customers, it becomes clear that together, as a collective force ~ truly amazing feats have been realised. Visions were created, goals were structured and aspirations, first seeded as small dreams, more often than not ~ became tangible realities. Our success is a testimony to each and every individual, who was present at the Air Mauritius Awards Ceremony.
Da Silva concludes by sharing her highlights of the past year, I am so proud to see how South Africa has managed to achieve the budgets set out for us. We exceeded last years results with incredible ingenuity and innovation, which further enhanced our brand. Travel Smart, for example ~ which offers value to the customer all year round, as well as annual commitments by our partners. The airport team exceeded ancillary revenue targets, and our sales teams have established sustainable relationships with the industry and all its segments.
The final boarding call of the evening encouraged all to celebrate the phenomenal achievements of yet another demanding year within the aviation industry ~ and also to bid farewell and good luck to a shining star, on the rise.
Issued by and to contact on behalf of Air Mauritius:
Glass Slipper Communications
Cell: 083 703 3750